Saturday, June 18, 2016

the upholstery adventure

Burke and I were browsing around at the Habitat for Humanity Restore in Ann Arbor and came across this chair. It was super cool - a glider. The footstool was also a glider. The price was $70.00, but I waited until they had a 50% sale and sent Burke for the chair. I paid $35 for both pieces.

This is my first upholstery job and I really enjoyed it.  It allowed me to use by sewing and woodworking skills.

After about a week, this is how it turned out. Super comfy chair!

I began with a screw driver and hammer to remove the staples that holds the fabric on.

I began at the bottom and worked my way up.

The manufacturer is New Castle Furniture and looking online - this set costs anywhere between $450 - $600.

I actually began with the foot stool. I really only took me a day to uncover it and reupholstery it.

I took the old fabric off and used it as a pattern for the new stuff.

I ordered some new foam for the back cushion and also decided to go with a square backing instead of the original curved.

I decided the skirting on both the chair and ottoman would not go back on. The fabric is a duck canvas that I ordered through, which matches the wall color in the basement. I ordered 10 yards overall and I used about 7 yards.

It actually was not hard at all. All together I spent about $115 on materials. I already had most of the tools I needed. Not bad for a first try. I'm already stripping down my next chair that I picked up for $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment